Pages

Friday, July 30, 2021

Two Years Since Cindy said Goodbye

 

WHO COULD RESIST THAT SMILE?

    Two years ago today, I brought my 15 year old dog Cindy to the vet and came out with an empty leash.     Things have never been the same.
Just a couple of days ago, I came across the sympathy card they sent me from the vet's office. Signed from all the vets with messages of support. 
    A ziploc baggie was inside with short cuttings of her fur, and three little pieces of cardboard with her paw prints in ink-not sure why they only sent three, but I was happy to get those. 
    I read all the little notes they wrote, and the sadness flooded back. How hard it was, and what would I had done if my brother in law hadn't helped me, getting her into his car, driving me to the vets a few different times as we tried to fatten her up. The ambitious plan they had wasn't meant to be, it only made things worse. My decision was made for me.
    The last day was a relief, knowing it would be over soon. But she didn't want to go, and it was agonizing for us both, lying together on the floor they had spread out with blankets, and a pillow under her head, like she was a person. 
    Time stood still as we waited for the fatal dose to put her down. It took forever because she had such a strong will. The vet told me she needed twice the dose it normally takes to get the job done. 
    I hope Cindy understood after she went over the rainbow bridge. I had to set her free. Even though it hurt, it was the best thing I could have done for her, the only way to end her pain and give her back her carefree spirit.
    My dad never got over losing her. I guess I did, but I still think of her every day. She was everything you could want in a dog. Loyal, loving and happy. At least now the two of you are together again. Rest and run in peace, both of you. I love you.





Until we meet again, be a good girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment