Pages

Friday, December 16, 2011

NOW it's time for Christmas!!!

     Hi everybody!  I'm happy to report that it is officially the holiday season. I realize that most people have already finished the Christmas card writing and sending, the shopping, and party planning. Your tree or other decorations are up , and the house smells like cinnamon, pine, and cookies. Well, if that's true, I'm really happy for you, and I envy you as well. You're one of the smart ones!
    I have not done any of these things yet. But I hope to get to a lot of it today.  I got up at 9:00 am on my day off, that's not too bad. It's bright and sunny, windy and in the low 40's. So I went down cellar to round up the outdoor Christmas lights and decorations. I found my bright snowflake. I plugged it in, and it must need a new fuse. There are two, so I'll have to find some new fuses, and then, figure out which one to replace. Wish me luck! The other set of colored icicle-style lights still work. So I just need some little nails or tacks to put in the side of the house. I want to buy new lights, but I'm too cheap. I usually get my lights, decorations and wrapping paper 50-75% off after the big day. But then of course some of what I want is gone, and I'm out of luck.  The prettiest new thing I've seen this year are lights that look like dripping icicles. I may just break down and buy a set at full price. My fiber-optic trees also need new bulbs, I just have to pry open the base, and that's not easy to do.
    Baking is one of the things that makes Christmas "Christmasy" for me. But I haven't found the ambition to attempt it yet. I have the best recipe for a pineapple/macadamia nut fruitcake, and I really want to make it. Ditto for the British shortbread squares my Dad loves. They are cinnamon infused, studded with chopped pecans, and drizzled with chocolate. Maybe later I'll post these recipes so you can try them, in case I don't get to send you any this year (You know who you are!)  I love Christmas cookies, and the concept of holiday baking in general, because it's a way to recognize and remember past Christmases, and the people who are no longer with us.
     Part of the reason I haven't celebrated much in recent years is because my grandparents are gone. When I was a child, it was the only day in the year that they and my uncle would come to our house,, and we would have dinner. It was a big deal, because it meant my Grandmother would be able to see my cats!! Bigfoot would never disappoint her, he would jump up on her lap, and that made us all happy.  When I started working in the nursing home in 2000, I usually had to work on the holiday. So we often postponed our visits until the weekend after. This worked out well for me when it came to getting things marked down!
     After my grandparents died and my uncle moved, there wasn't as much for me to do in the way of gift-giving and cooking. In the later years we went to her house, and I would bring most of the meal, and she would cook the meat. That was always hectic, but it was fun when we all sat down in her kitchen and enjoyed the meal.  Now I don't have to do anything but show up at my sister's house. Her and my brother-in-law do all the entertaining. It's fun, and great to see my niece and nephew. Since they moved away, I miss the day-to-day growing up. It's sobering for me to realize that the little girl I babysat from 3 months to three years is almost out of high school! She's old enough to drive, and has a boyfriend.  I'm very proud of her and my nephew. Anyway, I feel melancholy as we drive to their house because I miss my grandmother so much.
     Shopping for gifts should be something I get over with early, but for one reason or another, never manage to do. All I can say is thank God for gift cards! They really do serve a valuable purpose. I prefer to make homemade gifts, especially for my closest friends. But again we run into the time issue. I still have time to do this, I just have to follow through!! I'm lucky that my friends and family know how I am, and let me off the hook with late gifts. Maybe this year I'll surprise them and be on time!
     I could spend the whole day writing about Christmas traditions. But a blog is supposed to be concise, so I'll remind myself of this-"Jesus is the reason for the season".  It's not supposed to be about buying presents for people, though I think we want to buy gifts for our loved ones because it's an expression of love. I'm not a parent, but I'm sure there must be the pressure of trying to make Christmas magical for your children. You want them to have everything their hearts desire.  My parents made Christmas very nice for me and my sister. Another day I might go into my favorite memories. But today I have to get moving on all the things I need to do to make THIS Christmas a one to remember!  I plan to be back before 12/25. But if  not, I will wish you a memorable, happy, and joyous Christmas right now! God bless you.
Sincerely,
Karin


                                       Here is a Norelco ad from 1986.  I always loved these. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment