Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

My "Turducky" was Tur-yucky!

     For reasons unknown even to myself, I've been obsessed with trying Turducken this Thanksgiving season. In the past, I thought it was a gimmick, and I suppose I still do. But the curiosity of it got the best of me. I love turkey, chicken, and duck, so maybe, just maybe, it might taste good together.  
     When I looked to see how much they cost, I was appalled to see it was $8.99 a pound, or about 42 bucks. No thanks, I'm not that curious! Apparently, neither was anybody else, so the day after Thanksgiving, I checked again, and sure enough, they were marked down to 2.99 pound. So I thought I'd give it a try.
    I cooked my turducken following the directions on the packaging. I discovered the ingredients, and wasn't thrilled to see the stuffing had sausage in it, and "jambalaya" spices. I'm not a fan of hot and spicy to start with, much less with my poultry.
     While it was cooking, I put myself out making squash, mashed potatoes, hand-frenched green beans, and corn bread. I also made some plain stuffing to heat outside the bird, to eat instead of the sausage stuffing.  It ended up dry, even though it was in a foil pouch. I was originally going to make green bean casserole with the french-fried onions and cream of mushroom soup, but by then I didn't care, and worried the tastes might clash.
     The turducken did smell good while it was cooking. I basted it a couple of times. When it was done, I was surprised at the abundance of pan drippings for a boneless roast. True, I did add water while it was cooking. I probably should have used an oven cooking bag.  
    I made the gravy, and considering it was more sausage smelling than turkey smelling, it tasted pretty good, and wasn't greasy. As I look back, it was the best part of the bird.
    I was disappointed in the turducken, luckily it wasn't my Thanksgiving meal.  The turkey and chicken meat was OK, but the amount of duck was paltry, and the texture was mushy. 
     But at least I tried it! Now I won't be curious about it anymore, or feel I'm missing out.  I think I may try to make my own version of this oddity, and it will be much easier than actually putting one of these things together.  The answer?
1. Cook a turkey breast, a large chicken, and a duck, all stuffed, at the same time.  Don't use sausage in the stuffing.
2. Make a gravy out of the drippings.
3. Serve some of each with all the trimmings.
4. Put some of each meat on your fork, dipped in gravy.
5. Whatever that tastes like is what a real turducken should be!
Have YOU ever tried turducken? What did you think?
I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving, and enjoy the holiday season!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment