Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2021

TREASURE HUNTING

    It's a cloudy Sunday, but I've had a great day. I finally decided to tackle a daunting task: Go through and organize my belongings. Not things I currently use, mind you. Things that I boxed and bagged up when we moved. 

    For the most part, I know what I packed. I just don't know where some of my most prized possessions  are. Either I know I have it (but it's in a "safe place"),  or I think I have it, but I'm worried I don't. A lot of my stuff was already in boxes or tote bags with handles, or old pocketbooks. 

    There are trash bags and duffel bags of clothes, many I forgot about completely.  Some of them probably don't fit anymore, but I may be able to re-purpose them into something else. Or maybe give some of them away.

    I became totally absorbed looking through my old treasures. It was like  a dumpster dive into my past, except the dumpster was full of great, exciting things that I forgot about and love. I've been putting off this job for awhile, because when you look at all those boxes and bags, it can be overwhelming. I know it's all "good" stuff because I didn't bring anything that wasn't.  

    So what did I find today? Things that made me feel nostalgic. I had folders of old school papers, that were in my desk. Some of it I wonder why I saved. But I did come across a lot of things I wrote when I was a teenager, and I had my whole life ahead of me. Some of it was even from Junior high! Not sure why I get a kick out of that. I guess most of us like to remember when we were young.

    I was happy to find many treasures that were given to me by my friend Michaela. She passed away in 2016, but I have so many thoughtful little gifts she gave me over the years (we became pen pals in 1993.) We had so many of the same interests. I'm so grateful to have been a part of her life.

    I have an amazing collection of stuffed animals, and I love them all! I just need to throw them in the wash, then I can display them. They all have wonderful memories attached to them. 

    The best thing that happens when you sort through old stuff is finding something you aren't expecting, that you totally forgot about. There are a few specific items I've been hoping to find, and I thought I had a much better chance of finding them if I'm not looking!

    I was very surprised to find three boxes of "raw" agate that I bought back in the 80's when I had a rock tumbler! The tumbler is long gone, but I've been thinking about getting another one. Rock tumbling is a long process, but it was fun seeing the stones transform from rough and plain to shiny gems. Now I will have to get a new one!

    I used to have a massive collection of old advertising tins. Most of the tins were left behind, but I was happy to discover that I still have quite a few of them. 


    I still have lots more things to go through. It will keep me busy for awhile, and that's a good thing. It's a good feeling to see old things that remind you of who you were way back when.  It makes you think! I'm full of gratitude that even though I can never go back home, the things I brought here are an extension of that old place. And at least I have my memories.

    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment