Pages

Monday, July 19, 2021

FINDING MY OLD STUFF!

    After Months and months, I finally decided to start organizing some of my stuff. When we had help moving it out of the pod, some of the boxes were put in a room off the kitchen. We call it the den, because at home we had a room off the kitchen, and it was "the den". Dad's stereo equipment, massive record collection, a big wooden chair, and lots of other stuff was there. It was a great room with the best blue floral wallpaper. I tried to peel a piece off the wall to bring with me, but it didn't come off. At least I have photos of it.

    Our new den has bare white walls, as do all the rooms downstairs in the new house. But that's OK, we aren't trying to recreate the old den. That would be impossible, especially since I didn't bring all the special beer bottles that were adorning the thin ledge over the molding on the walls under the wall paper. I later found out people actually collect old beer bottes. They were from the 70's, so I probably threw away a small fortune. Don't tell anybody!

    This was my first move, but I'm sure anybody reading this is familiar with having the part with things.  When you move, you just can't take all of it with you. In my case, some of my packing was last minute and not very organized. So there are things I wish I could find, but I have no idea where the heck they are. I'm sure they are safely packed in a box, but which box? I didn't mark all of them. 

    Another problem with me is that I am way too nostalgic at times. I guess I'm a pack rack too. I hate to throw anything away that has a memory attached to it. Or anything I think I might need later for a craft project. I love re-using things!

    Anyway, I get so happy when I see something of mine that I'm not expecting to see. Just little things , mostly from childhood. I'm so excited that after all these years, I still have it! (then I realize I'm no longer a child, I'm in my 50's, so this stuff is OLD, like me) I'm amazed that through the passage of time, things like books, little trinkets, etc.; are still intact. For some reason, it's comforting.

    Today I found a little paperback book I must have read a thousand times when I was little, with Tweety and Sylvester.  I found a ceramic puzzle I made in high school ceramics class - I wish I had a picture of it to show you, it's really neat! There are four pieces, it's a rainbow with clouds. It took me more than  minute to put it together!

    I have a beautiful collection of fine porcelain spice jars I got from Lenox, with cats on them. I forget the name of the artist right now, but they are very realistic and pretty. I love them. So I need to get the shelf up and unwrap all of the jars, I think there are 24 of them. I bought them when I was in my 20s, and didn't have a lot of money. They came in sets of two, over a course of a couple of years. I'm glad I got them! But I have no plans to put spices in them.

     I also have a bunch of "Snuggle" figurines! They may be cornball, but I love them! The teddy bear is doing various laundry-related chores. I need to unpack these and see how many there are, I don't think I bought all of them.

    Later, I found some old clothes that I had forgotten about, and these were from my adult life, so I can still wear most of them. Clothing can bring on more memories than a lot of things- remembering good times you had, or places you might have been, or things you may have done while wearing a particular sweater or shirt. Any sweater my grandmother gave me has special meaning for me, and luckily, I still have almost all of them.

    I guess I better go, I have a big bag of stuff to look at!

This is some of my knick-knack collection before we moved. They have to be unpacked too! I love them so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment