Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

I can't believe it's October already!!!

    Well, here it is, October 2, 2011. Is it me, or does it seem like it was only April a few days ago? Summer here in Newton wasn't too bad, as far as scorching heat went, though those humid days really got me pining for winter.  We had a successful garden, which is the most important part of summer to me.  Picking those ripe tomatoes and fresh basil are what makes all the sweat seem worthwhile.
     Other highlights of this summer? What happened right before the official start, of course: The Bruins won the Stanley Cup!!!!  This was a dream finally realized. Not that I had any control over it, of course. Being a Bruins fan for the majority of the 39 years since they won it, I feel like I paid my dues. So I am very thankful that the Bruins were able to pull it off despite the odds against them. You have to appreciate it while we have it. It doesn't seem possible that the new season starts this Thursday, and we defend our title.  I made a promise to old friends that if the Bruins won the Cup, I would publish a special edition of my newsletter, "What's Brewin". I haven't come through on that promise yet, but I am working on it. My hat is off to the Bruins. They really made a lot of people happy, and brought the Cup all over the place to their fans.
   Fall is traditionally a time of melancholy (at least for me). I love the change of seasons, and the fall foilage, apples, pumpkins and all that. But it makes me sad when it gets dark by 6:30, and my once vibrant garden looks sickly and withered. I'm also not that fond of  Halloween. I think it's a great holiday for kids, but they really need to upgrade the size of "fun size" candy bars. How is is "fun" to get something that small?!  Mainly, I don't like having to dress up at work, but it's part of the job, and I should learn to love it. I think this year's costume is going to be a pair of Groucho Marx glasses with the mustache and eyebrows.
    Going with the title of this blog, life IS what you make it. So I'll look on the bright side and try to relish all the good things about autumn and winter. Gotta go- time to pick a few tomatoes and make BLT's for supper tonight!
See you soon!
Love,

Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment