Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Time Goes Faster When You're On Vacation!

     It's true, time goes by quicker when you're away from work!  I had the past eight days off, and not only did the time fly, I didn't do half of what I planned.  But then, I kind of expected that based on past vacations, and didn't pick on myself for it.
     I have no complaints because I had perfect weather! It was sunny, dry and warm almost every day. It rained on Saturday morning, but was sunny by the afternoon.  I spent quite a bit of time outdoors, and didn't sleep too late, either.
     I am also thrilled because the birds FINALLY discovered the thistle seed feeder!  I didn't actually see a male goldfinch, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one there. It's only been a couple of days, and it's still kind of hard to monitor the feeder because there's lots of leaves obscuring my view. They ate half of the seed in the feeder already.  I'll keep you posted!
     Meanwhile, I did get around to making that buttermilk chocolate cake, on Sunday. It turned into an all-day project, but a worthwhile one to be sure. More details on my other blog, "Fun with Food", when I get to it. I modified the recipe just by making a vanilla frosting for the inner layers instead of peppermint/cream cheese filling.  There were mishaps, but in the end, it was a lovely three layer cake with an awesome dark chocolate glaze.
     The highlight of the week was having lunch with my two uncles (and my Dad), and visiting my grandparents' grave site.  I'll have to go back to the cemetery because there's a beautiful fountain I want to get some photos of.  It's huge!  Whenever I go to the cemetery, which isn't often enough, I remember how peaceful and tranquil it is, and the trees and flowers are so pretty. It's a great place to take pictures if you can avoid the tombstones.  One thinks of cemeteries as a scary or depressing place, but I haven't had that experience.  Just the same, though, I won't be going after dark!
     The fun thing that happened this week was that I blew the dust off my Kindle ( I won it last December at the company Christmas party).  I learned how quick and easy it is the download a book to the Kindle from the computer. I chose free books (classics like "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" and "The Mysterious Island",and a few other things I never heard of that got good reviews. I also ordered a couple of free word games. I got so addicted to " Every Word" that I was dreaming I was playing the game. I hate that! So I put the game away until further notice.  I have other stuff I probably didn't do because of my Kindle, like finishing letters to my friends, and my writing assignment. That's almost done though.
     I'm kind of sad that my vacation is over. I love my job, but I can honestly say I didn't miss being at work. I could get used to this if I ever win the lottery!  I went back to work today, and things are already back to normal.
Have a great week, and if you have time off, enjoy it! You earned it!

No comments:

Post a Comment