Pages

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Reflecting during Labor Day Weekend


     It's been a long time since my last post, so I thought I better check in.  It's Labor Day weekend, and I started my three day vacation today. How gorgeous it was, sunny and dry.  It's been really busy at work, so this time off is much appreciated.
    It's easy to want to goof off, but I have so many projects I want to complete, that I'm going to have to get up early every day if I want to make any headway. Some of what I want to do: Make a buttermilk chocolate cake. I heard cakes with buttermilk are the best, and I found a nice recipe in an old Ladies Home Journal that looks really good. I got some buttermilk on sale (Kate's of Maine, they make Kate's Butter). Since they are based in Old Orchard Beach, I buy the butter whenever I can, it's yummy. This was the first time I was able to find the buttermilk, and I was looking for recipes to use it in.  I soaked my chicken parts in it, which was good, and I added some to my biscuits, which made them tangier. I have to buy some ingredients and new cake pans before I can make my cake. I'll let you know how it comes out!
     I told you about buying thistle seed to attract goldfinches to my yard. I set up the feeder the next day, and after two weeks......Nothing.  Not even the squirrels or any other birds have eaten any if this seed. I'm shocked and disappointed, and impatient.  I know the birds will come eventually, but when? I tried the feeder in four different locations after nothing happened in the first one. 
      I did see a lovely goldfinch near my workplace a couple  of days ago, and tried to get a picture. He was on top of a dried flower head. Then he flew into my parking lot.  The picture I did manage to get wasn't very good because the lighting was bad. But now my plan is to set up a feeder at the gazebo in our parking lot. Maybe the goldfinch will bring his friends, and I can get some nice pictures there to hold me over.
     Boy the Red Sox are really going down the tubes. But they did wonderful thing this week by trading Josh Beckett (and to a lesser degree, Adrian Gonzalez and his huge contract). Now if we can unload John Lackey, we'll be all set.  I really don't know who was to blame in the demise of the Sox, or if Bobby Valentine should stay or leave. I just know the games are getting harder to watch! Last night they lost 20-2!
     There's plenty more that needs to be done during this brief vacation--I'm printing up my course work from the activity director class to put in a binder. I was actually pleasantly surprised at my work-it was better than I remembered.  I also need to update my resume, just in case I need it.  I recently added stuff to my LinkedIn profile, and one of my connections wrote a nice recommendation for me. Thanks, Al!  
     I've been sending away for DVDs lately, and it's nice. I got Perry Mason season 2 part 1, the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and I'm still waiting for a VHS copy of Laurel and Hardy in Sons of the Desert. It was only 99 cents. The DVDs were close to 30 bucks. There's still tons more stuff I want, and will order in time. Like Car 54, Barnaby Jones and Cannon, Hazel, and more Perry Mason! They don't make TV like they used to. I love seeing the old cars and LA in the 50's.   Buying videos online is so much more economical than going to a store!
     Well, I better go..I still have my writing assignment to complete- my story about my two cats Bigfoot and Willamina. It's supposed to be 2-3,000 words, but I'm having a bit of writer's block. My assignment is late so I have to get moving!!
     I hope you are able to have time off this Labor Day weekend, and take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment