Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Robin's Reign is Over

      
     I was saddened to hear of the passing of Robin Gibb, who most of you probably know was a member of the Bee Gees. It was bad enough I didn't even know he was sick, and heard he was in a coma and had made a marvelous comeback.  If you have only heard the Bee Gees from the disco era, please make an effort to listen to some of their early music. They were top notch, and I was a fan way before the disco era and the high pitched squealing that people associate with them. (Even worse, that Sargent Pepper movie they did with Peter Frampton- ill advised at best) 
    The original fans of the group never thought they were copying the Beatles (They were around before the Beatles, after all!) and loathed the notoriety they gained from the disco music and those white jumpsuits and  big hair, when their early music was clearly superior. I was only a kid when "Saturday Night Fever" came out, but was a seasoned Bee Gees fanatic since day one, or before, according to my Dad, since he played their albums constantly since before I was born.
     I could write pages about what the Bee Gees music means to me. Their music was not only beautiful to listen to with the harp, orchestra, and amazing harmonies, but the writing was great too. I don't hear it much anymore, since the record player started gathering dust. The sound on CDs is just not quite the same.
     I saw them in concert once, in 1988. They were very good, and I was surprised at how funny they were, naturally funny.  My Dad still tells me once in awhile about a concert they did outdoors in Boston, in a raging thunderstorm. They kept on playing, even with all their plugged in instruments, risking electrocution. And they sounded great. Wish I could have been there! 
     I generally don't idolize famous people, but in rare instances I do wish I could reach certain musicians to let them know how much their music means to me. Imagine the feeling of knowing how many people are positively affected by your voice, music or words. It's kind of creepy to think about.  It's sad to think that Barry Gibb is the only Brothers Gibb who is still alive- much like the Beach Boys losing Carl and Dennis, and leaving Brian Wilson all alone.  
     If there is any consolation,it is that the music lives on- I always think of that song by the Kinks, "Celluloid Heroes", except it's Vinyl Heroes! The music never dies.
With You Tube, we have almost any song at our fingertips, so I advise you to go there and listen to some early Bee Gees songs, or even "Stayin' Alive". For what it is, it's a good song too.
     Robin was only 62  years old, and died from cancer. He had recently completed a musical project with his son, Robin-John.It was about the Titanic, and I think they were raising money for families of people who lost  someone in that disaster, but I'm not sure about that.  I never even knew he had any children (he has four). 
    I am going to leave with a couple of clips-hope you like them.
   Robin, rest in peace. You will never be forgotten, nor your twin Maurice. I hope you have been reunited and  are working on a new song!
Karin

No comments:

Post a Comment