Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Random thoughts for a May weekend

     It's another weekend, and I'm trying to squeeze in enough time to write the blog. I don't like to go longer than a week between posts. I get lots of ideas for articles, but if I don't write them down, I tend to forget.
     So, what's on my mind this weekend.....I'm a little worried about the Red Sox. Not that long ago, they were the darlings of the media and fans alike. Look at them now? They have been exposed as selfish, greedy, egotistical idiots. They have won two in a row, but their record is terrible, and they keep finding new ways to blow leads. I don't know how long Bobby Valentine is going to last, but he has his work cut out for him!
     Well, it's Sunday now, and for the first time in ages, I feel like I got the most out of myself. I actually accomplished something! I got up very early this morning (7:30, I must be crazy) and worked in the yard until noon. God knows there's plenty to do...I tried taming the wisteria vines, which is a 40 hour position once it gets out of control. I picked up a lot of dead leaves along the wall that goes down the driveway, and for some reason, a lot of soil has accumulated there. So I used a shovel to push it closer to the wall, and now I just need some ready to plant annuals to throw in the ground to make it look nice. I've lost my faith in seeds, they never seem to do well anymore. I always think there are flower seeds sprouting, but they turn out to be weeds! Not this year.  I do have some heavenly blue morning glory seeds, I do think I will take a chance on those if I can find them.  Lastly, I managed to plant about 50 daffodil bulbs, around our ornamental pool. If they all come up next year, it will be beautiful. I still have a few more to plant, along with some mini iris.
     I am really on a roll, I am so pleased that I took the time and trouble to make some chocolate chip cookies! I had recently bought some finely chopped macadamia nuts at Trader Joe's, but put off making the cookies. When I was finally ready on Saturday, I discovered that I was out of brown sugar. Lo and behold I checked the Internet because I remembered something about making your own. It's true, you can make homemade brown sugar by stirring one Tablespoon of molasses into one cup of sugar. Hot Dog! It smelled a little strong, but it was delicious. And so are the cookies.
    The McDonald's I used to frequent on a daily basis for coffee has been closed for several months as they tore down most of the building, and are doing it over.  It looks like it might be half completed. Makes you wonder what was wrong with the building. It's only been there since the 70's, the late 70's at that. Think of all the money they must make in a day. By the time they open again I wonder if I'll still have a taste for the soft serve sundaes and the Paul Newman organic coffee. I rarely bought any fries or burgers, I stuck to the dollar menu. Meanwhile, I have to be saving money. I can't stand Dunkin' Donuts coffee, it's awful, in my opinion. 
     It's Mother's Day, and I hope everybody had a wonderful day!
This is the area where I want to plant flowers.  You wouldn't believe how many worms are under there!

This is where I planted most of the daffodils.

Cindy had three rides this weekend. Here's a picture from earlier this spring.

This is an old picture of the wisteria when they were out of control,. I must say they are still beautiful.

Another shot of an intense vine. This guy is dead now.

This will give you an idea of what I'm up against. It's nowhere near this overgrown now,  but give it a week! I want to wait until the flowers bloom. They smell SO good!
I hope you had a nice weekend. My life is pretty trivial sometimes, but I enjoy it most of the time. At least I was home, and didn't think about work hardly at all!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment