Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Weekend Update


     I have lots of things I'd like to talk about today, hence the title, weekend update. I worked again this weekend, so now that I'm home and the Patriots playoff game just started, I'm unwinding with my blog. Starting this blog has been very rewarding so far.
     I'm inching closer to my certification; I should finally have all my needed paperwork ready to send out by Tuesday (since Monday is a holiday). I'll have to start studying for the test, I'll hear back from the board within the next twelve weeks, probably much sooner than that, I hope. I'm getting so impatient!
     Once I have it, the six years I have to earn the other two missing components starts to tick away. I'm motivated to get it done as quickly as possible. Not sure how I wasted so much time between August and now. Anyway, I'm already looking at another course that gives me all 30 CEUs that I need.  I must say online education is a wonderful thing for people like me.   
     All this week, in honor of National Activity Professionals Week, the NAACP is having online chats each night, for free CEUs-each hour equals one credit. So if I participate in each one, that's seven credits, and I saved 70 dollars. These chats usually cost 10 dollars apiece.  
     Before you fall asleep, I'll move on to another topic. Seen any good movies lately? I love old movies, and my lament is so many movies, so little time. I've been searching since my childhood for an old movie I saw part of, and was intrigued by ever since. It was about a guy with amnesia, who may have been involved in a murder. He was describing a dream sequence where he was out in the rain, and had a hole in his umbrella. He appeared to be in a doctor's office, and after he told his story, the doctor shot a dart at him that narrowly missed. I don't know how the rest of the movie turned out. Do you know what it is?
    Over the years, I've done online searches (you'd be surprised how many movies have an amnesia/ murder plot line.) No luck yet. I was going to write a letter to Robert Osborne of Turner Classic Movies, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  TCM showed a movie that seemed to fit this description, and since it was on at 7:30 am after I already left for work, I taped it. I started to watch it, but I was too tired, so I'll have to try again another day. I'll be excited if I ever finally get to see this movie after 35 years or so!! I'll keep you posted.
    My other pet peeve about movies is how many of them are remakes. Last night I came across a remake of a classic Humphery Bogart movie "High Sierra", from 1941. The remake was called "I Died a Thousand Times", in color, from 1955. Jack Palance played Bogart's character Roy Earle, Shelly Winters took Ida Lupino's role. All I can say is WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??!! These two can't carry Bogie and Ida's make-up cases!
     The strangest part was that most of the dialog was copied verbatim. I already know it by heart, having seen the original countless times. It sure makes me appreciate it that much more. I kept watching, just out of morbid curiosity,and because the acting was so bad it was funny.
  If you ever get a chance to compare, go for it. Let's see if I can find some trailers for you.
   Well, gotta go. It's almost time for my online chat!
Take care, and stay warm.
Karin
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment