Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Tonight It's Do or Die for my Bruins

     As I write this, the Boston Bruins are playing game 7 of their first round of the playoffs. There isn't much time left (about seven minutes) and the game is tied 1-1.  We just killed a power play, the only one the Caps have had all game, and Tim Thomas just made some amazing saves..Whoo, we almost had one, how did we miss?  It's all too nerve-wracking,  understandably, because it's do or die. 
     I have to watch the Red Sox or turn down the sound for stress relief--I don't know how I made it through this last year, when we actually won the Stanley Cup. I'm still pinching myself over that one. In all honesty, I will be very disappointed if they don't win, but they can't take last year away from us, and that alone would soften the blow for me.  I guess I'll have to put this down for a few minutes until the game is over. Now there's only three minutes left. I so want to get a goal soon. I am not looking forward to another sudden death overtime, even though it is very exciting.  Be back soon- we just got a power play, if we blow this.......
      I'm back, and the news isn't good. The Bruins LOST! I think I'm in a state of shock. They had won three game sevens en route to the Stanley Cup last year, so I guess we were due to lose one. This was a "historic" series because it was the first series ever where each game was decided by only one goal. The first few games were pretty ugly, with lots of chippy and dirty play. The refs were great tonight, but were questionable in many of their calls and non calls. We lost tonight because we could not capitalize on our opportunities. Overall, we had real trouble scoring, and the Caps had a pretty good rookie goalie. Give them credit.
     Competition is a theme I tend to analyze every year. Sometimes there is so much BS involved in trying to win a playoff series that I wonder if it's worth all the aggravation. It's only a game, after all, but for a so-called leisure pursuit, it brings with it stress, and for some people, anger or depression. And for the people that bet on games, financial gain or loss.  
     I am dealing with this very well. I have a lot of experience with losing, you see.  In recent years, the Boston sports teams have been winning a lot. But for the first 30 years I was a sports fan, the Celtics were the only team that were consistently winners. My Bruins were dear to my heart, even though they broke it every spring. 
     I guess because I was young and spirited, losing was really hard for me. I wanted to win soooo bad, that I was completely crushed when the Bruins tried so hard and always came up short. Usually there was some unfair call by the refs, or an unfortunate injury, or both. Or a goalie who liked to come way out the net.  1990 was really tough. We made it to the Finals, and I wanted the Championship so bad I could taste it. We played the Oilers, and we came up short. I was depressed for weeks. There was so many mixed emotions, being angry, sad, and proud of the team simultaneously. With all the soul-searching, I always remember saying that there was something to be said for non-competitive hobbies like music. It's just there, and it doesn't hurt you. It just gives you joy. The same with reading .  
     Anyway, I am still very proud of my Bruins. I will cherish the Stanley Cup they won last year, and will remember and re-live the way I felt being a champion for years to come. The reign is over, but that's OK. I can live with that.  It's only a game, and life goes on.........


No comments:

Post a Comment