Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Are You Tired of Hawk Stories Yet?

    Hello out there in computer-land. How are you today?
Is anybody following my little saga about the hawk that was in my yard? I don't think it lives in the nest, so I had announced to the world that I intended to start feeding my birds again.
    Then, on a Sunday about two weeks ago, we were coming back from a ride with the dog.  I took her out of the car, and we went in the yard for a minute. I looked up, and I could see, up in the very high branches of the silver maples of the yard next door, not one, but TWO very super-size hawks, sitting side by side, like book-ends! You wouldn't believe it unless you saw it yourself. Way up there, basking, with the sun beaming on them. It was an impressive sight.
     I had to take the dog in quickly so I could get my camera out. Only one of them was left by the time I got back outside with my bigger Nikon, a minute or so later.  My Dad saw it fly away, and he said it looked like a red-tail.
    The other hawk stayed there about another five minutes, and I took several shot, which I will include here. I am impressed with his tallons, his fluffy chest, and his eyes-this one almost looked like he was happy, it doesn't have the super-serious look you usually see. You be the judge!
     I think I am going to email a picture to Mass Audobon and see if they can give me a positive ID on his species. I looked in the bird books, and can't be sure. I did see a documentary on PBS the other day about falconry, where they are feeding a red-tail some raw mice, and it had the same markings and eyes, so I'm thinking my Dad was right about it being a red tail.  Anyway, we've only seen one once since then. But we still have our cardinals, and I've been hearing more songbirds in the morning. That is encouraging, spring will be here soon!
    Here are the pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment