Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

I NEED A VACATION AFTER TAKING MY VACATION!

     I just returned to work this weekend after being off for a week. I must say a few things about my time off.
     1. Going away is almost more trouble than it's worth. I made a conscious effort to pack lighter than I have in the past, since I end up bringing lots of things I never need, but pack "just in case". When you're going to coastal Maine, the weather can go either way, so you need one set of warm duds and one set of cooler ones. 
     I try to avoid spending too much money, so I try to pack food that I know I might need, and that includes spices, beverages, condiments, etc. I usually leave most of this stuff in the car, kind of like a pantry on wheels. Only trouble is, if I don't plan ahead, I'll have to go down all those stairs to fetch it.  The food is very reasonably priced in Maine, and the meat is higher quality and better tasting too. So I do a lot of cooking in the three days I'm there. I bought some nice pork chops, a super rib-eye, and a good T-bone ($5.99 a lb).
     2. While on the subject of money, I should add that I don't like to part with it! And it seems like this year, prices went sky high.  It really irks me. Deep fried scallops last year were $13.99 for a pint, this year they were $16.99, so we only bought them once. I didn't even bother with the deep fried Oreo I planned on indulging on myself! Those were $1.00, a deep fried Twinkie, $3.00, which is too much.
     Quality fudge is worth the money, even at $11.99 a pound. They had a special on two flavors: praline, and chocolate/sea salt caramel. Buy one lb, get one free! So we did "stock up" on fudge. MMMM.
     Ice Cream is another matter. Since when did you need to take out a bank loan to buy an ice cream? I'm not joking- I wanted to try a place that had 45 homemade flavors, but I didn't stop that day. When I went back the next day, I was out of luck. A little bit of rain, and half of the shops were closed! Dairy Queen, too! I was disappointed. So I went to the same place I bought the fudge. A three scoop cone was something like $4.35, but was still a better value than a small (and I'm a piggy-poo when it comes to ice cream).  So I ordered one scoop of chocolate, one scoop of butter pecan , and one scoop of coconut. Then I had to decide on type of cone, and the cone costs extra!! The plain one I chose was 75 cents. Long story short, he rung it up, and it came to SIX DOLLARS AND FORTY ONE CENTS!! I really didn't enjoy it much, paying that much for it. 
   I will be back soon with more  stories from my vacation! And pictures, too.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
      
     

No comments:

Post a Comment